10 August 2009

Young, Gifted and Unemployed…


“it took me a long time to get young and now I consider myself young. And I'm proud of it. I'm proud that I'm young… It is not an old peoples' world”
(Bob Dylan at the Bill of Rights Dinner, 1963)

Whilst Foster, Gehry and co. are busy writing lists of their most dispensable employees we all find ourselves on a level playing field. Fellow students, we have advantages! – we’ve nothing to lose, nobody to lay off, we’re young with free time, energy and new ideas! What’s everybody complaining about?

This recession is the opportunity we’ve been waiting for. Pull up your sails and fly ahead single-handedly in your little boat past all the sinking super-yachts. Now is the time to be optimistic, work hard, take risks and shape the times to come.

...Not sure where to start?
Initiate change: Start an ideas competition.
Travel and learn: Apply for a travel scholarship.
Write: Apply for journalistic jobs, start your own magazine, a blog.
Work with friends in different fields: Design sets for film, theatre…
Build: Volunteer for construction work in developing countries.
Teach: Learn from others.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article, I guess. It's easy to be optimistic when you've had lunch today.

    ReplyDelete